11 July 2013

Prepping for baby #2

Since I'm officially at the halfway mark with this pregnancy, I'm really starting to focus on what I need to buy/do before the Minion makes his/her appearance.

This morning, I was browsing my Facebook news feed, and I came across this post from The Mommy Dialogues (if you haven't yet discovered their wonderful page, go check it out!). The relatively short list of baby gear got me to thinking about a) what I already have because BabyA was drowning in "stuff" (most of which we never used) and b) what "stuff" I need for Minion.

The Husband really enjoys getting "stuff." He's not quite as thrilled when we don't have space for all of the stuff and he ends up tripping over it when he gets up to pee in the wee hours. Since most of the gear went relatively unused, I certainly don't want to add to our collection this time around.

On my short list of "must haves" for Minion are:

Newborn cloth diapers. I used disposables for the first 6 months of BabyA's life. When we switched, she was perfectly capable of going straight into one size diapers. She was, however, a long and skinny newborn who didn't gain weight terribly quickly, so I don't anticipate Minion being able to wear OS diapers for at least couple of months.

A new sling/carrier/wrap. Granted, this isn't a *huge* "must have" since I have a long woven wrap for front carries, a stretchy wrap-type carrier (a Baby K'Tan), an Ergo Sport with an infant insert, a Sleeping Baby Productions wrap conversion ring sling, and a shorter wrap for back carrying BabyA. I would, however, like another ring sling so I can have a backup in case of poopsplosions or lots of spit up. If you don't have a carrier, there are many affordable options, and they are absolute lifesavers when you have a baby who doesn't like to be anyplace but on your person.

Warm clothes and blankets. Minion is due after Thanksgiving this year. BabyA was an April baby. Here in central California, April is already summertime. The only reason I needed blankets for her was because The Husband likes to turn the air conditioning down to glacial temperatures.

I'd like to take a little side track here and say that all of the above mentioned items can be purchased used (and, with the exception of some wraps/carriers, at a pretty discounted price). I buy most of my baby clothes and blankets at yard sales and thrift shops. Let's face it, newborn clothes only fit for a few months. In that time, they are not going to wear out. I just can't bring myself to spend $15 on an outfit that my child won't wear more than a few times before he/she outgrows it. That's not to say I haven't splurged on special occasion outfits (and I will most likely buy Minion a super cute Christmas get up), but children's clothes in general are a much better bargain if you buy them used. I am about 1/3 of the way to completing my newborn diaper stash, and I have one new diaper (because I got a deal on a seconds quality hybrid fitted from a WAHM whose diapers I love).

Now, don't get me wrong. When I see reviews for various new baby gear items, I sometimes drool a bit.

On my list of things I'd like to have, but don't necessarily need are:

A new infant car seat. I have a perfectly acceptable Graco Snugride 35 that I used for BabyA. She outgrew it before her first birthday, so it's hardly used and not expired. I don't need a new infant seat, but I'd love something that's a little slimmer since I'll be having to fit 3 car seats across my narrow back seat.

Even more wraps/carriers/slings. As I mentioned before, I don't need any more of them, but they're an addiction (and oh so pretty!).

Even more cloth diapers. Again, they're an addiction.

A new stroller. Yes, I am an avid babywearer. No, I did not use my nice Graco stroller that I received as a shower gift more than half a dozen times before The Husband put it in storage because it was taking up space in the dining room. However, I'm a realist, and I know that I (and my back) will not be willing to tandem wear an infant and toddler at all times. Also, as nice as that Graco is, it takes up every inch of space in my car's small cargo area. I'd like a nice, compact single stroller. Cheap umbrella strollers are never tall enough for me, and I end up in pain from walking around hunched over. I do not, however, *need* a new stroller.

What's on your list of "must haves" and "wants" for upcoming babies? What are the baby gear items you just couldn't live without?

1 comment:

  1. Yayyy for baby #2!!!! I feel the same way about all our stuff we got at the shower that neveeerrrr got used! So weird that I HAD to have all of that and really didn't use anything...cloth diapers and more carriers will most definitely be on my list for my baby #2 :))

    ReplyDelete